See this FAQ for the automatic vacuum solution we added to the 1.11.04 build on 8/11/2010
If you want to do it manually, read below.
Overview: (Options/Vacuum Analyze Database)
Holdem Manager may ask you to run a Vacuum on your database. Doing this frees up disk space and allows your database to run faster.
Quick Tip: Vacuuming your database is like getting your car's engine serviced.
Manual Vacuum Solution:
Note: This process can take a long time if you have a large database so try to do this when you are not using your computer for a long period of time.
1. Go to Start > All Programs > PostgreSQL 8.x > PG Admin III or you can navigate to the .exe file by going to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\bin\ and click on the elephant icon called pgAdmin3.exe
2. This should bring up the following screen:
If you have any issues entering your password see the info below:
3. Double click on “PostgreSQL Database Server 8.x” in the object browser window in the top left and it will prompt you for your password. This is your password that you used when setting up PostgreSQL. When you enter the correct password you should now see a screen like this:
PT3's default name/password is - postgres/dbpass
HM's default name/password is - postgres/postgrespass
Start HM > Options > Database Management > Password should be shown there:
If that doesn’t help:
1. Go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\data, move the the pg_hba file to your Desktop and open it with notepad.
2. Scroll to the bottom and change all md5 to trust. Save and close the file
3. Move the file back to the data folder
4. Restart the PostgreSQL service: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services > PostgreSQL > restart
HM will accept any password now.
4. You then need to expand the database folder and choose the applicable database (HoldemManager by default). It may bring up a popup window about database encoding and if so click on “don’t show this tip again" and click OK.
6. This will bring up the maintenance screen. Make sure Vacuum, Analyze and "Full" are selected. Click OK.
7. After that has finished click 'Done' and then repeat steps 5 and 6 for the 'Maintenance operation' > '[x] Analyze', then repeat again for the '[x] Reindex' option.